Knowledge => Understanding => Living Out

As someone who is studying for the ministry, I know a lot, but not all, about the Bible, Christian theology, some other faiths' theology, worship practices, mission strategies, outreach methods, and the list can go on. I sit here and I think about the upcoming year and the youth group that I for my third year get to dive together into a new curriculum. I have worked hard to challenge them, but frankly these kids blow my mind with their knowledge of the Bible and theology. This is a shout out to the area Christian Schools, parents, and also the church. The fact that we have a mix of both Christian and public school students, it amazes me the depth of knowledge they have. I am envious of the teachers that they have had growing up. This is not saying anything about my parents, church, or youth leaders, but as a person who has stepped into a already established youth group, I can see the "old" curriculum material, and rejoice in the stuff we have today.

This past summer while in Nebraska I was also doing work preparing for this upcoming year, really wanting to challenge the youth of my church, and I began looking early for curriculum. To admit more for clarification and not praise, I always modify lessons no matter where I get it from. I always throw in my own questions, pick and choose which direction to go down, and simply modify a cookie cutter lesson to fit the specific context of my group. All groups have their own needs and desires, and I enjoy putting in the added effort in order to help things stick instead of examples or questions that do not affect us out here in West Michigan.

With that being said, I had the privilege of interning at a church and preaching the majority of Sundays I was there. I loved it, but also came to understand the similarities. Obviously there are differences, I don't get to ask a bunch of questions, I don't call my wife up to help write things so people can read it, nor do I get made fun of publicly by other leaders. As there are differences, there are similarities. I stand up with my group and I'm trying to pass this fire that I have about a topic to others so that they can pass the torch onto others. Make them catch the drive and passion that makes them live out the knowledge that they have built up in their head. The similarities can keep going, but the one I am stuck with is that both youth group and a congregation have trouble moving forward. No matter the passion and no matter the words of the leader, the words can fill all individuals, but still no action can come from it.

I think that is the thing that I have worked hard in my groups. You may have a great lesson, but if they still sit with the question, "so what" after, then we are missing the mark. How does this sermon affect my Monday morning grind, or how does this lesson affect the next school day walking in the halls Friday afternoon when the weekend is in sight?

To many curriculums focus on learning, but lose the connection to real life. How do we get students to see how they are the church, and that their voice matters? In a world that says you must have power and influence to make change, how do we empower the younger generation? How do we as leaders/mentors/teachers/etc show real life examples of Christ's love?

I encourage all who teach youth to be relational, be examples, and Tbe real.

Comments

Popular Posts