Constantly Evaluating = Continual Growth

**I wanted to write a disclaimer before this post. Many people have messaged me separately and have asked me if what I've been writing about has been specifically related to the church I am serving this summer. I wanted to mention that, my thoughts and reflections come from observations from a variety of sources. I haven't just worked here at Pella Church, but also been involved with a church plant in Lincoln called F Street Neighborhood Church. I have worked with the SE Nebraska KEZ (Kingdom Enterprise Zone), a church planting initiative with both the Christian Reformed Church and the Reformed Church. In the mix of all of these things (and other places not listed), through stories of the different groups saying what has worked and hasn't worked, and through brainstorming with many different leaders, I have a lot of thoughts that are going through my head that aren't specific to any place I am at, but more based on learning and, if you know me well, just the random thoughts that are going through my head. 


(Now back to our main feature)

Constantly Evaluating = Continual Growth

Programs in the church are a great thing. Programs serve a purpose, programs help both the people in the church, and outside the church, and programs serve a purpose. But what happens when that purpose is to simply keep running? 

I have been blessed to be a part of a committee where we met monthly, but talked about stuff three months in advance. I listen to others where their committees do not meet regularly, or meet once a year. How do you sit and evaluate if what you are doing is right, working, or doing what you want it to?  

When a church is leading if vision, is it not their duty to make sure that everything that what they are doing fits into their mission and vision?  What good is it to be functioning when not flourishing. In talking with a few farmers I asked, "Can you get away with not irrigating?" The answer was yes, but the crops wouldn't be as good. Exactly, we don't settle if we know something is going to work, but we desire to see it do the best it can. Why is that same mindset hit the church? Why be satisfied with being okay if it all works out in the end?

I am guilty when it comes to usually having the right words to say. Churches are just as guilty. We know what to say. Some call themselves a "Missional Church," "Outreach Oriented," or "Spirit Led," but they do not act on who they say they are. That is like saying you believe there is a god, but not seeking after the one true God. 

Stop asking the question, "Is everything working," or, "Is everything going alright?" These are not the questions to be asking. Start asking, "Are we reaching those who we want," and, "What can we do in order to do a better job?" Is that not what we are called to do? Do our absolute best in all that we do? It pains me when I hear about and see teams only talk about how well things are working, and not evaluating their progress, work, and efforts. How do you know if what you are doing is actually working? Make it better, tweak what you are doing, or cut the cord on things dragging you down if it doesn't propel you to where you want to be. 

Everyone has a to do list, either one from their boss, or for things at home. You make sure that stuff gets done, because you absolutely know that it has to. Often times there is no waiting for tomorrow. Why do we not have that same thing in the church when we think of our ministry programs. We know that God wants to reach those who do not know him, and we have a the to do list that Jesus gave in Matthew 28. "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, and teaching them everything I have commanded you."


Where is the direction, and what are actionable step you are taking to get there. 

Comments

Popular Posts