Leading in Vision

I have had the privilege to get to sit in on the classis led  revisioning process that is going on at Pella Church. They are without a pastor, and I have the privilege of being their pastor for the summer. I have been in a unique position getting to see all the behind the scenes work that a church goes through in order to search for a pastor. Not all churches go through this long and in depth of a process, but a lot of good questions have been asked.

Questions like:

  • Where do we see ourselves in 5 years?
  • Who is in our immediate ministry reaches? Who are the people who are harder to reach?
  • What is our direction as a church? 
  • Are we healthy?
  • What do we need in a leader?
These are just a few of the questions that have been brought up, but it makes me think of the place that God has planned for me, and wondering if they are going through this same process. It makes for an exciting and daunting transition into a church as a leader for a place that knows the direction they want to go. 

I think that is a key thing for myself to ask a search committee. What is the direction? Where do they want to be in 5 years? What do they see me doing in order to get there? What do they see themselves doing to participate in this direction? These serve two purposes, giving me something to work toward, but also know if I can fulfill the expectations that they desire for a pastor. 

Should churches only go through this process when they seek a new pastor? Even though I am not in the position, I think that this is something that all churches should think about. If there is no clear direction, then they are just riding the wave, but sooner or later you come to the beach and the wave dies out. If you aren't going somewhere, you're going nowhere. Might sound harsh, but I think it is a wake up call for self-reflection of churches, and their leaders, when thinking about the future of their church and ministry, and the calling God is giving to the church. 






Comments

Popular Posts