Diving In & Engaging a New Ministry Context

A lot has happened in just this last week. Several meetings, community event at church, going to Lincoln for an outreach ministry, and of course sermon prep. All these things went well, and I am excited to say that I enjoy preparing for a Sunday Service a lot more when I have the extra time to do it. I have enjoyed getting to know many people in such a short amount of time, and the love and support I've already received was unexpected. I can say, this small town kid from Iowa was warmly welcomed into Nebraska.

Entering a new ministry context has its challenges. What are they seeking, what do they want, what don't they want, and how am I lead in this community I've been placed in? Meeting people is easy for me. I enjoy meeting new people and getting to know their stories. I've learned how people out here obviously farm for a living, but often not because they had to, rather because they loved farming. I met a guy who is in his 90s, who still farms. It is his passion, and though he has help to do some of the work, he would not want to be taken away from his passion. Amazing! I met another guy who couldn't stop praising God for the blessings he was given in life, from an amazing wife to a hired hand who became as close as a son (and that is what he calls him). It is from these stories that I learn about the context I am in. I find out what is important to people, share in the praises they lift up to God, and enjoy in the fellowship.

As easy as it is to just sit and talk to people, the week doesn't last forever, and you know that Sunday is coming. The knowledge of having to preach in a few days, to largely a group you still do not know very well, is intimidating. I enjoy preaching, but knowing my congregation is a part of my sermon preparation. This is not just a sermon that I preach at this church, and then leave only to maybe be invited back again. I am here for a few more sermons after this.

I've been wrestling with how we are taught to preach both in Seminary and by the world. On one hand we are given two classes out of three years in Seminary on preaching and we are supposed to figure the rest out on our own. The world tells us they like simplified nuggets of moral truth, but we know the Bible has much more to offer than just telling us how to be good.

People have often said to me, "Preach Christ", "Preach Grace," or "Preach to the people in your pews." but then I listen to their sermons and they simply preach a sermon making those in the pews feel happy about themselves. Are we actually preaching Christ or grace if we are not preaching for the expansion of the Kingdom of God? What about those who are not in our pews? If we only preach to those in our pews, then we are not only teaching our congregation that they are the most important, but that our ministries and programs at the church are about them. That is just not the case.

My internship includes a lot of preaching, and I will continue to develop on my preaching style and voice throughout the summer. Maybe more importantly, I have come to realize that, even if you are a mediocre preacher, but have amazing pastoral care skills, you will make it as a pastor. Some wisdom I have gleaned from another is that, "99% of all complaints I've ever received about the pastor has been concerning his pastoral care, or lack thereof." There you have it, you do not have to be the best preacher in the world in order to be loved by your church, but you better love your church.











Comments

Popular Posts