Opening Week


                                                       
Packing as much as we can
Sunset and rainclouds as we drive to Pella, IA 


View From Parsonage Window

View from the ball field behind the church

Countryside view behind the church

View of ball field































Opening Week at Pella Reformed Church 


Malorie and I tried to pack all that we could into our little Honda Civic for our summer in Adams, Nebraska. We packed one pan, a kettle, mixing bowl, some utensils, and a crockpot. Malorie packed all the food that she didn't want, and she sent it along with me. So I arrived with some deer meat, pasta, and peanut butter and jelly. Other than food, what do you pack for a 10 week excursion? I will admit that I packed more clothes than Malorie, but she doesn't have two separate wardrobes. 

Malorie is still in Holland as her school year doesn't end until next Wednesday, and she will fly out June 11. So I am holding down the fort here in Nebraska until she arrives. I have been very blessed upon arriving here at Pella Church. I was greeted warmly, shown around, and then I was taken out to eat. 


So why am I at Pella Reformed Church this summer? Well short story is that I am here for my internship this summer. Longer story, is that I am excited about his country church that is about 6 miles away from any civilization. I am excited for this opportunity to be the sole pastor out here in the midwest. Malorie and I considered a few other places for the summer, but nothing ever seemed right for us. The opportunity here will give me experience in all aspects of ministry, as well as some experience in Lincoln with outreach and church planting. 

The emphasis for myself is to learn as much as I can. I desire to do a lot of reading, processing my own thoughts about ministry, and seek to find who I am as a minister. I have received a tremendous amount of support by both family and friends, but also stepping into this role here in Nebraska. I have been encouraged to try new things, develop my own style, and give my input where I can. 

A verse that has been on my heart this spring semester and one that has carried me into this summer is, Psalm 42:1-2. 
As the deer pants for streams of water,
    so my soul pants for you, my God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
    When can I go and meet with God?

The focus that I take is: What does my soul thirst for? What is my greatest desire? How do all my other passions, desires, and loves in the world intersect with my one true thirst? 

That's the question I sit with as I enter into this summer internship. Let the learning begin. 













Comments

  1. So glad that you are doing this blog. I am excited to hear about your new adventures and see how God leads you both this summer. I know you will be awesome! I can't wait to hear your sermons. Jamie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts